Delicious Five Ingredient, No Oil, Mushroom Risotto.
We love risottos, they are easy & cheap to make and tick all the right boxes when it comes to comfort food.
With this recipe we believe we have got a risotto down to its most basic ingredients, so it’s low-cost and easier to do. You can obviously glam any risotto recipe up, but please use this as a starting point.
The five basic ingredients involved are: onion, garlic, mushrooms, risotto rice and veg stock.
If you wanted to jazz it up then adding a small glass of white wine at the start when you are frying off the onions, mushroom and garlic is a great shout and makes it taste even more wonderful.
Authentically you use some sort of oil or fat at the start to fry off the onions and garlic, but this can be done with a splash of veg stock instead, which keeps the whole thing healthier.
- One Large Onion Chopped Finely
- One Punnet of Sliced Mushrooms
- Three Minced Garlic Cloves
- 1.5 Litres Veg Stock
- Risotto Rice - 300g
- (Additional Extras to Mix in at the End)
- Salt & Pepper
- Nutritional Yeast - 2 Tbsp
- Frozen Peas - 1/2 Cup
- Grated Vegan Parmesan - 1/3 Cup
- Squeeze of Fresh Lemon Juice
- Pour the veg stock into a large pan and keep it on a low heat
- Saute the onion and mushrooms in a large, deep pan, with a splash of veg stock on a medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until the onions become translucent and golden slightly.
- Add the garlic and stir into the mushrooms and onion for 2 minutes.
- Pour the rice into the pan, stirring continuously for another 2-3 minutes.
- Now add a ladl full of veg stock to the pan with the rice in and stir continuously, until all the veg stock is soaked up by the rice.
- Repeat Step 5 for about 20-25 minutes. It is important to only add one ladel full at a time and also to keep stirring the rice on a medium heat. The risotto is finished cooking when it takes on a shiny texture, it’s extremely thick, and of course taste it to see that the rice is just softer than al dente.
- Serve in a bowl with a squeeze of lemon juice and chopped fresh parsley.