Who says that vegans can’t enjoy a Greggs-style pasty? OK, it may not be the healthiest of snacks to eat, but at least it doesn’t contain meat & dairy right?
This is actually a really easy recipe, but it means you going out and buying two different types of vegan cheese: cream & mozzarella, for which there are many choices now at supermarkets and elsewhere. You will also need your favourite vegan ham, which can also be found at most supermarkets.
Once you have accomplished this recipe then you can literally make loads of different pasties with your favourite fillings. We used pre-made shortcrust pastry because it’s easier and you can find vegan-friendly versions in most supermarkets now.
- Medium Red onion - 1
- Grated Dairy-Free Mozzarella - 3/4 Cup
- Dairy-Free Cream Cheese - 2 tbsps
- Mustard Powder - 1 tsp
- Garlic Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Vegan Ham - 1/2 cup
- Pre-made Ready Rolled Shortcrust Pastry - 1 sheet (350mm x 225mm)
- Dairy Free Milk - 2 tbsps
- Preheat oven to 200c and line your baking tin with parchment paper.
- Take the pre-made shortcrust pastry out of the fridge and let it reach room temperature (roughly 10-15 minutes).
- Peel and finely chop the red onion and shred the vegan ham.
- Put the onion, mozzarella & cream cheeses, mustard powder, garlic powder and shredded vegan ham into a mixing bowl and stir until all ingredients are mixed evenly.
- Roll out the pastry so it’s one flat horizontal rectangle. Now divide the rectangle into four equal vertical rectangles.
- Take a heaped teaspoon and a half of cheese mixture and place it in the middle of the bottom half of the uncooked pastry – make sure that the filling stays at least a centremeter from the edge of the pastry. Repeat this step on all of the pastry rectangles.
- Fold over the top of the pastry so that the top edge meets the bottom edge, and all the sides meet exactly. Now pinch all the edges together so that the pastry is sealed.
- Take a fork and with it press down on all three sides that you have sealed.
- Use a spatula and place each of the pastries into the baking tin. Now brush the top of each pastry with dairy-free milk.
- Score the top of each pasty twice with a sharp knife and put in the oven for 20-30mins, until the pasties have risen slightly and are golden brown all over.