Simple but tasty Vegan Bean Chilli
If you are trying to be healthy and just cant think of anything to cook then this is the go-to meal – it’s just so easy.
The spices used in the recipe are absolute essentials for any vegan cook, so don’t be afraid to stock up the cupboards with them. In particular we use Smoked Paprika on so many dishes, it’s just incredible and so cheap to buy at the supermarket.
This recipe obviously goes really well with rice, on top of nachos or baked potatoes. It can be reheated the next day or kept in the freezer. Best part is that it doesn’t break the bank. Enjoy!
- One Onion Diced
- Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Mushrooms - 125g (half a punnet)
- Two Garlic Cloves Chopped Finely
- Ground Cumin - 1 Tsp
- Smoked Paprika - 1 Tsp
- Mild Chilli Powder - 1 Tsp
- Tomato Puree - 2 Tbsp
- Half a tin of Chopped Tomatoes
- Marmite/Yeast Extract - 1 Tsp
- Red Kidney Beans - 1 Tin (drained)
- Cannelini Beans - 1 Tin (drained)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- (Additional extras: a splash of vegan Worcestershire Sauce; a tablespoon of cacao powder or a square of dark chocolate)
- Saute the onion and mushrooms in oil (or a splash of veg stock if you want to be healthy) for about 5-7 minutes on a medium-low heat.
- Add the garlic and continue to saute for a further 2 minutes.
- Now add all the spices and stir
- Add the tomato puree, Marmite and beans into the pan and continue to stir, before adding the chopped tomatoes.
- Simmer on a medium heat until it has reduced down into a thick chilli. You can add the additional extras at this point if you like.
- Serve with rice and a dollop of natural yoghurt & chopped fresh coriander