Festive Seitan Celebration Roast with a Cranberry & Sausage Stuffing, Wrapped in Vegan Bacon.
A beautiful centrepiece for any Christmas gathering, perfect with roast veg and gravy.
Nut roasts are lovely, but seitan is in a league of its own. If you are vegan or have vegans coming for dinner then this is the one to make.
The seitan cooking procedure is the easiest that it can be, but we suggest learning it because it’s such a good skill to have in your back pocket.
We used Vbites bacon to cover the seitan, but any vegan bacon will do the trick. The stuffing is made with Linda McCartney’s sausages and a standard vegan-friendly stuffing mix from the supermarket.
The glaze finished the whole thing off and it’s simply a mix of cranberry sauce and maple syrup, but gives it slight sweetness to round off all the other flavours.
- For the Stuffing
- Vegan Sausages - x2
- Sage & Onion Stuffing Mix - 5 Tbsp
- Cranberry Sauce - 1/2 Tsp
- Water - 7 Tbsp
- For the Seitan
- (Dry Mix):
- Wheat Gluten - 1 1/2 Cups
- Plain Flour - 1/4 Cup
- Nutritional Yeast - 1/2 Cup
- Onion Powder - 1 Tsp
- Garlic Powder - 1/2 Tsp
- Rosemary - 1 Tsp
- Thyme - 1 Tsp
- Salt - 1 Tsp
- Pepper - 1 Tsp
- (Wet Mix)
- Soy Sauce - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Vegetable Broth - 1 1/4 Cup
- For the Cranberry Glaze
- Cranberry Sauce/Jam - 2 Tbsp
- Maple Syrup - 2 Tbsp
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4
- Place the stuffing ingredients into a bowl and mix.
- Pour the stuffing mix onto a sheet of foil and shape it into a sausage. Roll the foil up and twist the ends in to look like a Christmas Cracker.
- Refrigerate until the next bit is done.
- Whilst the stuffing is in the fridge, pour the dry seitan ingredients into a bowl and mix.
- Add in the wet ingredients and mix untill it is too tough to mix with a spoon.
- This is when you need to get your hands in. Knead the mix for a minute or two and shape into a ball.
- Leave it to rest for a few minutes. This allows the gluten to activate.
- Knead one more time then roll out onto a floured surface using a rolling pin.
- Once you have the width (slightly larger than the width of your stuffing), place the stuffing on top and roll the Seitan around it. You may need to pinch the Seitan where it joins so it doesnt come undone, then make sure the seam is underneath.
- Cover the top with strips of vegan bacon.
- Wrap the roast in tin foil and place into a roasting tin.
- Add some water to the tin (about 2cm deep) then cover the whole tin with foil.
- Place into the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and discard the water in the pan and the tin foil.
- Brush the cranberry glaze all over the roast and place back into the oven uncovered for a further 20 minutes so the glaze goes nice and sticky.
- Slice & serve with your favourite roasted vegetables this festive season.