Why should you make your own baked beans when the ones at the shop are easy and cheap? Because homemade baked beans are a completely different ball game and are absolutely delicious.
This is like the jazziest baked beans on toast you can make and it’s all very simple to do.
- Cannelini Beans - 1 tin
- Medium Red Onion - 1
- Minced Garlic - 1 tsp
- Tomatoe Puree - 2 tbsp
- Maple Syrup (or agave would work too) - 1 tbsp
- Marmite/Yeast Extract Spread - 1 tsp
- Red Wine Vinegar - 1 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Sautee the onion for 5-7 minutes in the oil on medium-low heat until the onions are soft.
- Add the garlic and sautee for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree & red wine vinegar and stir.
- Now add the marmite and maple syrup and make sure everything is mixed into a lovely sauce.
- Add the drained cooked beans to the pan and coat them in the sauce.
- Simmer on a low heat for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve on chunky toast with a sprinkling of chopped parsley.