Trifle is a classic yet delicious dessert to make during the Christmas Festive season.
Here we have developed a really fun and simple way to make a showstopping trifle for a minimal cost yet a beautiful and colourful dish full of yummy custard, jelly and cream flavour.
Our list of ingredients and price count is below:-
Hartley’s Glitter Jelly is 100% vegan and found in most major supermarkets.
Co-op Doughnuts are vegan. Infact they recently won an award for being the best Accidentally Vegan Product at our Vegan Food UK Awards 2018. In this recipe, we used the Custard Doughnuts but I imagine the Jam Doughnuts would be delicious too.
We used Birds Custard Powder and it is 100% vegan and really delicious – it also keeps the cost down compared to ready made vegan custard.
Coop Doughnuts – 60p
Hartley’s Glitter Jelly – 90p
Custard Powder – 30p
Dairy-free Milk – 50p
Coconut Cream – £3
Icing Sugar – 50p
TOTAL – £5.80 Plus decorations
- (The Jelly Layer)
- One packet of Vegan Jelly, 100g
- Boiling Water 500ml
- Three vegan Doughnuts
- (The Custard Layer)
- Plant-Based Milk - 1 Pint
- Custard Powder - 2 Tbsp
- (The Cream Layer)
- Three cans of Full Fat Coconut Milk (Refrigerated overnight) or Three Cartons of Coconut Cream (Refrigerated overnight)
- Icing Sugar - 2/3 Cup
- (The Decoration)
- A handful of Flaked Almonds
- A Dozen Fresh Raspberries
- Chop the doughnuts into thumb-size chunks.
- In a bowl, empty the packet of jelly.
- Pour the boiling water in and mix until the jelly is dissolved.
- Place the doughnut chunks into the jelly.
- Put in the refrigerator until it is set.
- Pour the milk into a pan and warm to a medium heat.
- Sprinkle the custard powder in and mix.
- Keep mixing until the mix starts getting thick like custard. (Its good to continuously mix to stop the custard from sticking to the bottom of the pan). Alternatively, you can follow the instructions on the back of the packet.
- Once it is thick like custard, pour on top of the jelly and place in the refrigerator to set.
- Spoon the coconut cream into a bowl with the icing sugar and whisk until light and airy.
- Pour on top of the custard.
- Decorate with treats of your choice or use raspberries and flaked almonds.
- Serve with your friends and family and simply watch how quickly it gets eaten
Our aim here at Vegan Food UK is to provide simple recipes using ingredients found in our main supermarkets. We occasionally might use a speciality ingredient, however, only if it is available to buy easily online. Our aim is to show that vegan food can be easily made with simple ingredients that everyone has access too.