Cut yourself a slice of our delicious Vegan Marmite & Cranberry Cheese
We know that Marmite isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, you either love it or hate it right? But if you are a lover of the dark stuff then you will love this homemade cheese recipe. We used an own brand yeast extract from a supermarket and it works perfectly.
The base of the cheese is cashews which makes it super creamy and the whole thing becomes sliceable with the use of Agar Agar, which can be found affordably at many shops online and at some supermarkets.
This cheese goes really well with some berries on top, we used cranberries as they are in season but you can choose your own.
In all seriousness, making your own vegan cheese may seem strange at first, but it’s so easy once you learn the process. Have fun and let us know how you got on in comments.
- Soaked Cashews - 1 Cup
- Nutritional Yeast - 1/2 Cup
- Coconut Oil - 2 Tbsp
- Juice of Two Lemons
- Garlic Powder - 1 Tsp
- Mustard Powder - 2 Tsp
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Water - 3/4 Cup
- Agar Agar - 2 Tsp
- Yeast Extract/Marmite - 3 Tsp
- Sweetened Cranberries - 1 Tbsp
- Soak the cashews in water overnight, make sure the water covers them
- Drain and blend the cashews, nutritional yeast, coconut oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper and mustard powder.
- Pour water & agar agar into a pan and cook on a low-medium heat until it starts bubbling.
- Now add the cashew mix to the water & agar agar and stir until it’s all thoroughly combined into a creamy cheese mix.
- Pour half of the cheese mix into a bowl and add the yeast extract/marmite and stir.
- In a separate bowl put the cranberries right at the bottom and pour the other half of the cheese mix over the top of them. Making sure to smooth the cheese level.
- Now pour the marmite cheese mix on top of the other cheese mix and smooth off level.
- Cover the bowl and put in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Turn the bowl upside down and serve on a cheese board with grapes & crackers.