No-bake Peppermint Cream Slice with a Bourbon Biscuit Base.
We believe that the beautiful Peppermint Slice originates from Australia or New Zealand, that’s where we first tried it anyway. This recipe can be made gluten free if you can find the suitable biscuits and chocolate. And the peppermint extract can be found very cheaply at most supermarkets in the baking section.
When you take a bite what you will notice first is the incredible peppermint flavour of the cream centre along with the sweetness of the crunchy biscuit base, followed by the slight bitterness of the dark chocolate – it’s a taste sensation!
The biscuit base can be any vegan chocolate biscuits really, but the best to use are bourbon biscuits which are mostly “accidentally vegan” and amazing with their own creamy chocolate centre.
Usually containing dairy, we managed to veganize this slice using avocados as a wonderful mint cream in the centre, the end result is a better texture & flavour.
- Bourbon Biscuits - 400g
- Vegan Margarine - 1/3 Cup
- 2 Ripe Avocados
- Sweetener Syrup - 1/3 Cup
- Coconut Oil - 1/4 Cup
- Peppermint Extract - 2 Tsp
- Fine Desicated Coconut - 1 Cup
- Dark Chocolate (Melted) - 100g
- Grease the tin and press parchment paper down.
- Add the biscuits to the processor and process until a crumb texture is made.
- Add the melted margarine and mix.
- Press the biscuit mix down in the tin to form the base layer of the slice.
- After rinsing the processor out, add the avocados and process scraping the sides down as you go.
- Add the syrup, coconut oil & desicated coconut, salt and peppermint extract and mix until you have formed a smooth green mixture (the desicated coconut may not have broken down too much and may look a bit coarse, but that’s ok).
- Pour mix onto the biscuit base and spread to create the middle layer.
- Place in the freezer for an hour.
- After the hour, take out the freezer and pour the melted dark chocolate on top and spread evenly to create the top layer. The frozen slice will make the chocolate harden very quickly so this process must be completed quickly.
- Slice and place in refrigerator for a couple of hours before eating. The slices can be frozen individually if you plan to save some for a later date.