Scrambled tofu is a dish that every vegan must learn in his/her lifetime. It’s a fanastic way of using tofu and actually really easy to make.
This recipe is the most basic version of scrambled tofu you will find, we have tried to use as little ingredients as possible and definitely no crazy ingredients that you can’t find in your local supermarket.
One tip we do have is pressing the tofu before cooking with it, which firms it up and gives it a lovely texture. You can buy the best tofu press on the market here.
It has to be said, that if you want your scrambled tofu to taste like scrambled egg then you have to add kala namak (black salt) to it. In this recipe we have left it out to keep things simple. If you want to try a fancy deluxe version, then why not make our Super Tofu Scramble?
We have added tomato paste into the recipe, this may seem strange but it adds a nice ‘tang’ to the dish and saves using a whole bunch of other ingredients. If you have tomato salsa in the fridge then this works even better.
Remember that everyone’s version of this dish is different, because we all have different tastes. So use this recipe as the base before making it your own by adding extras such as: nutritional yeast, mustard powder, spinach, chilli, cheese and black salt.
- 1 Medium Onion Finely Chopped
- Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Pressed & Drained Block of Tofu
- Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic Powder - 1tsp
- Soy Sauce - 1 tbsp
- Tomato Paste - 1 tbsp
- Salt & Pepper (if required)
- Fry onion on medium-low heat in a large pan in the oil until translucent. If you want to make this a no-oil recipe then just use a splash of water or veg stock as a replacement.
- Crumble the tofu into the pan with your fingers.
- Add the turmeric & garlic powder and make sure all the tofu is coated in it.
- Now add in the rest of the ingredients and stir on a medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve on top of toast with a sprinkle of fresh parsley and your favourite vegan sausages.