Super Tofu scramble is a dish that veganizes ‘scrambled egg’, but using tofu instead of egg making it completely cruelty-free.
We already have a basic recipe for a Simple Tofu Scramble that uses minimal ingredients to make a perfect addition to your vegan breakfast. But this recipe, is on a whole other level.
The Super Tofu Scramble has a Mexican twist to it, including: peppers, chillis & avocado. We don’t usually publish recipes with so many ingredients, but we feel as though we needed to in this case, as it’s delicious and super (hence then name).
Two ingredients that might throw you in this super recipe are nutritional yeast (nooch) and kala namak (black salt), we will briefly explain them both now and where to get them.
Nutritional yeast has a cheesy, nutty flavour and is usually fortified with vitamin B12. It can be found at health food stores and even some supermarkets have started selling it now in the UK. Also The Vegan Kind Supermarket sell a few different varities of it.
Kala namak is a type of rock salt that contains sulphur, which in turn gives it an eggy taste & smell. It is an absolute MUST HAVE ingredient if you make Tofu Scramble a lot. You can buy it here.
If you like the recipe, why not make a Super Mexican Breakfast Burrito? Just put rice, fresh salad and the Super Tofu Scramble in a wrap – bingo!
- 1 medium Onion finely chopped
- Oil - 1 Tbsp
- 1 Block of pressed Tofu
- Half a Red Pepper roughly chopped
- Half a Green Pepper roughyl chopped
- Half a punnet of Mushrooms sliced
- Medium Red Chilli finely chopped
- Minced Garlic - 1 Tsp
- Turmeric - 1/2 Tsp
- Kala Namak - 1/2 Tsp
- Spinach - 1 cup
- Nutritional Yeast - 2 Tbsp
- Medium Avocado chopped into centremetre cubes.
- Soy Sauce - 2 Tbsp
- Grated Vegan Cheese - 1/2 cup
- Sautee the onions and peppers in a pan on a medium heat in the oil for about 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms & chilli and mix in with the other ingredients and sautee for 5 mins.
- Mix in the garlic and sautee for a further 2-3mins.
- Crumble the pressed tofu into the pan with your fingers and mix with the other ingredients.
- Sprinkle the turmeric, kala namak and nutritional yeast all over the tofu, then stir making sure everything is coated and mixed together.
- Now add the soy sauce, avocado, spinach and grated vegan cheese into the pan.
- Once the spinach is wilted and the cheese is melted, serve on top of bagels with your favourite vegan sausages.