Vegan Halloumi Fries are the best way to devour the famous Greek/Cypriot cheese.
Dairy-free halloumi is now common in the UK, it can be found at various supermarkets and at The Vegan Kind online shop.
Halloumi Fries are marinaded in herbs & garlic and then lightly battered. Halloumi of all kinds needs to be marinated, and we believe we have found the perfect combination of herbs and spices to bring the cheese to life.
The end result are crunchy cheese fries that are perfect to dip into vegan tzatziki as a snack or starter.
- Vegan Halloumi - 1 Block (200g)
- (The Marinade)
- Minced Garlic - 2 Tsp
- Dried Rosemary - 1 Tsp
- Dried Thyme - 1 Tsp
- Dried Oregano - 1 Tsp
- Olive Oil - 1 Tsp
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- (The Batter)
- Plain Flour - 2 Tbsp
- Dried Rosemary - 1/2 Tsp
- Dried Thyme - 1/2 Tsp
- Oil for frying - 1/2 cm deep in the pan
- Slice the halloumi into strips the same shape as regular chunky fries.
- Add together all the marinade ingredients into a flat surface tub/tray and mix.
- Place the halloumi into the tub and coat all sides with the mix.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour to infuse all the flavours.
- Meanwhile, add into a bowl the batter ingredients and mix.
- When the halloumi is ready to cook, take out the refrigerator and place each piece into the batter mix coating the whole piece.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Dip the end of a halloumi strip into the oil to check that the oil is ready. If it sizzles, it’s ready.
- Gently place the halloumi strips into the oil and fry, making sure you turn them over. You will know they are cooked when they are a light brown colour.
- Remove from pan and place on a kitchen roll to soak up the excess oil.
- Serve with Tzatziki sauce